The Sun Prairie Fire Department has accepted a grant of about $470,000.00, which it will use to hire five additional firefighters next year.
Sun Prairie Fire Chief Christopher Garrison shared the news with state leaders and other emergency responders on Wednesday. Gov. Tony Evers, Department of Safety and Professional Services Secretary-Designee Dawn Crim, Sen. - PUB DATE: 10/2/2019 1:35:31 PM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison
Firefighters responded to a gas leak in Belleville Tuesday night.
According to Dane County dispatch, We Energies called at 10:04 p.m. to report a gas main break underground at the intersection of River Street and 3rd Avenue. Officials said an uprooted tree caused the leak as storms started to move through the area at around 9 p. - PUB DATE: 10/1/2019 9:44:00 PM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison
Four people are displaced after a fire in Janesville.
According to the Janesville Fire Department, firefighters were dispatched to a single-family home on the 200 block of Rutledge Avenue around 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
Initial dispatch information reported a clothes dryer on fire in the basement of the residence. - PUB DATE: 10/1/2019 8:11:06 PM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison
After much talk, the Beaver Dam Fire Department is now officially moving forward with a study that will look at staffing needs and a possible second fire station on the north side.
The city’s police and fire commission approved spending $9,500 to have a firm conduct the study, linking up with a study underway for Dodge County to look at its needs in an era of growing concern about the future of emergency services in the area. - PUB DATE: 10/1/2019 4:59:36 PM - SOURCE: Daily Citizen
A device found outside the Superior Fire Department's new headquarters has shut down Tower Avenue.
Superior Fire Chief Scott Gordon confirmed the threat to the News Tribune, but said the department was safe inside its building at 3025 Tower Ave.
Nearby Tower Avenue has been shut down out of precaution and the device and area have been "isolated," Gordon said. - PUB DATE: 10/1/2019 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Duluth News Tribune
Eight years ago, the Verona Joint Fire District had a part-time chief, four full-time firefighters and a 35-year-old fire station with no room to put up interns or volunteers overnight.
If there was a call in the evening or on the weekends, people would drive to the station, wait for a four-person crew to arrive, get into their gear, then start heading to the incident, all of which could take 10 to 20 minutes. - PUB DATE: 10/1/2019 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: ConnectVerona.com
A program bringing together fire departments, high schools, and Madison College is working to target future firefighters, as departments across the country face challenges in recruiting and retaining volunteer firefighters.
The program, called Start College Now, brings together area high schools and fire departments with Madison College to provide training using firefighting equipment to certify students in firefighting, as well as get them college credits. - PUB DATE: 9/30/2019 5:36:31 PM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison
Several people are without a home after a fire at a local apartment complex, according to firefighters, 12 units are damaged.
A building at the Northern Meadows apartment complex in Menomonie went up in flames Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters say no one was hurt and Menomonie Fire Chief, Jack Baus, credits a bystander with helping to get everyone out safely. - PUB DATE: 9/30/2019 5:00:55 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
A barn on the Biadasz family farm in the Town of Buena Vista is a total loss after hay caught fire and spread through the building Monday morning.
Firefighters from nine fire departments responded to the fire off County Road EE, just south of County Road D in Portage County.
"We're all working together and it takes us all to work on a big fire like this, especially with the hot conditions," Village of Plover Fire Chief Mark Deaver said. - PUB DATE: 9/30/2019 1:42:54 PM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
The fire at Uncle Mike’s Bake Shoppe in De Pere residents called in Friday night, turned out to be a false alarm.
The bakery posted on their Facebook saying there was no damage to the building and no one was inside. An owner from the bakery also posted a video explaining how an overheated dishwasher caused the commotion. - PUB DATE: 9/28/2019 6:43:49 PM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay
One local fire department opened their station doors to the community on Sunday.
The De Pere Fire Department held their annual Open House at Fire Station #1 located at 400 Lewis St. from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Visitors were able to come hang out with Sparky the dog. In addition, children of all ages were able to explore the “Safety Town” interactive trailer in conjunction with the the station’s health department. - PUB DATE: 9/28/2019 4:38:29 PM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay
Donna Opperman is delivering homemade hearts and stars to police, fire and EMS departments across Wisconsin to show appreciation for first responders.
"To honor 9/11 and 911. We will never forget. These are not very pretty stars or hearts. A little frayed around the edges, like the USA right now. Like the USA we will bend a little, but we will not break," Opperman wrote in a letter she delivers with the gifts. - PUB DATE: 9/27/2019 9:00:53 PM - SOURCE: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison
Medical students got out of the clinic and got a taste of what it's like to be a first responder. Second year medical students at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Green Bay Campus, learned how firefighters and paramedics treat patients in the field before they get to the hospital.
Members of the De Pere and Howard fire departments showed the students how to rescue a patient from a burning building and how to free someone stuck inside a car. - PUB DATE: 9/27/2019 7:37:27 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay
Tichigan Volunteer Fire Co. officials said Tuesday that the company is ready to take on the challenge of picking up coverage of the entire Town of Waterford when the current fire and emergency medical services contract between the town and Village of Waterford expires at the end of this year.
In a more than hour-long interview with The Journal Times, Assistant Fire Chief Bill Miller and EMS Lt. - PUB DATE: 9/27/2019 4:49:52 AM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times
The Milton Fire Department has never had full-time employees, but that would change if the budget recommended by the joint fire commission is approved.
The proposed 2020 budget for the fire department operated by the city of Milton and town of Milton includes wages and benefits for three full-time paramedics and the option of retirement benefits for eligible employees. - PUB DATE: 9/27/2019 3:00:59 AM - SOURCE: Janesville Gazette
For Adam Blaskowski of the Wheaton Fire Department, Tuesday night was a long one.
He got the tornado warning alert on his phone, posted to the fire department's Facebook page, and then quickly took his dogs and went into his basement.
"I have a storm shelter in my basement closed that up and no later than closing the doors on that I heard the loudest banging, thumping, popping, you name it. - PUB DATE: 9/26/2019 8:33:50 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
Two people were injured from a garage fire Thursday evening, according to Green Bay Metro Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to report of smoke and fire in a garage on Green Bay's west side at around 6:17 p.m. Thursday on Nelson Street. The crews quickly extinguished the fire in under 5 minutes. - PUB DATE: 9/26/2019 7:44:53 PM - SOURCE: NBC 26 Green Bay
An Armenia firefighter and first responder volunteer is on life support as a result of severe injuries sustained in a Wood County ATV crash.
Josh Doherty, 27, of Nekoosa was ejected from his ATV in a crash Sept. 22. Doherty, an organ donor, will remain on life support while waiting for the recipients of his organs to be ready. - PUB DATE: 9/26/2019 5:50:20 PM - SOURCE: Juneau County Star-TImes
A driver crashed a car into a senior apartment complex in Kaukauna Thursday morning, At about 6:05 a.m., police and firefighters were called to a crash at Canal Place Senior Apartments, 137 E Wisconsin Av.
Emergency responders found the car well inside the apartment unit and the driver trapped.
"When we arrived on scene we noticed that a Ford Taurus had driven about 20 feet inside an apartment building and the patient was still trapped and injured in the car. - PUB DATE: 9/26/2019 1:15:35 PM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
Waukesha police have confirmed one person has died following a house fire.
Firefighters were called to the home located at 619 S. University Drive around 5:05 Thursday a.m.
The fire is believed to have started in a back bedroom.
The medical examiner and police are still on the scene. - PUB DATE: 9/26/2019 7:41:19 AM - SOURCE: WISN-TV ABC 12 Milwaukee