If you have an emergency, call 911 immediately!

Wisconsin Fire News

General manager charged with arson in Glendale Motel 6 fire

A 73-year-old Mequon man is accused of arson at the Motel 6 located in Glendale. The fire broke out in a maintenance closet on Dec. 17. Authorities believed the fire was intentionally started and took a suspect -- identified as the Motel 6 General Manager Edward Callison -- into custody. According to a criminal complaint, at 10:14 a.
- PUB DATE: 1/9/2020 9:42:49 AM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee

Garage destroyed in Kaukauna fire

A garage is considered a total loss following a fire Wednesday night. According to the Kaukauna Fire Department, crews responded to the fire on 811 DeLanglade Street at 9:11 p.m. Firefighters who reported to the scene say the detached garage was engulfed in flames. The roof had also collapsed into the garage before they arrived, but the property owners were able to remove a vehicle and tractor beforehand.
- PUB DATE: 1/9/2020 3:59:13 AM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay

Town of Freedom moves forward with plans to build new fire hall

The Town of Freedom will move forward with building a new Fire and EMS Department. The town clerk says 337 people voted in favor of building the new fire station, while 265 voted against it. Votes were cast at a special town board meeting Wednesday night. Before casting their vote, people had one last chance to view the plans for the $3.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 8:38:37 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay

Follow Up: Torch used for bathroom plumbing in Madison starts apartment fire

A torch that started an apartment fire caused $35,000 in damage Wednesday morning, officials said. According to an incident report from the Madison Fire Department, firefighters were sent to the 500 block of Northport Drive at around 9:30 a.m. after reports of a structure fire. Officials said maintenance workers were using a torch to work on bathroom plumbing and called 911 after seeing smoke within a wall.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 6:37:47 PM - SOURCE: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison

Senate committee advances bill authored by Green Bay senator to regulate firefighting foam, rejects further limits on PFAS

Republicans in the state Senate advanced a bill Wednesday to restrict the use of firefighting foam containing certain PFAS compounds but rejected a Democratic proposal to expand regulation of the synthetic chemicals that have been found in drinking water throughout the state. The Senate’s GOP-led natural resources committee voted 3-2 along party lines to approve the bill, authored by Sen.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 1:03:01 PM - SOURCE: Kenosha News

Madison firefighters respond to structure fire on Northport Drive

Multiple crews with the Madison Fire Department are responding to a structure fire at 509 Northport Drive, according to Dane County Dispatch. Officials said the call came in at 9:32 a.m. One medic was dispatched to the scene, but injuries are unknown. Two ladder units and three engines were also dispatched to the fire.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 8:44:48 AM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison

Janesville fire drives 10 from their homes, Red Cross helping residents

Ten people in Janesville are now receiving assistance from the Red Cross after their duplex caught fire early Wednesday morning. A passerby reported smoke was coming from a structure in the area of Harvard Drive and N. Crosby Avenue at 3:40 a.m., according to the Janesville Fire Department. When firefighters arrived to the scene, a two-unit side-by-side duplex had smoke coming from the attic and residents were evacuating 2604 Harvard Dr.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 7:40:37 AM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison

One person dead in Oak Creek motel room after fire in attached residence

One person is dead after a fire broke out Tuesday in a residence attached to the Victoria Motel in Oak Creek. According to Oak Creek Fire Chief Mike Kressuk, a call came in at 11:50 a.m. and responders encountered "light smoke conditions" at the motel. Crews entered a unit and found a small fire near a closet.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 3:09:51 AM - SOURCE: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Superior Fire Department starts new year with young crew

The Superior Fire Department rung in 2020 with a new building, a new chief, a new fire truck and new technology that will take their work into the digital cloud. It’s a young crew heading into the new year. Half the department has been there five years or less. Firefighters in their 20s outnumber firefighters in their 50s by 10-to-1.
- PUB DATE: 1/8/2020 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Superior Telegram

Gas leak prompts evacuation of two Edgerton schools

A leaking heating and cooling unit prompted authorities to evacuate Edgerton High School on Tuesday afternoon. Kindergarten students, who have been using the high school building were also evacuated. At 1:20 p.m., the fire department was called to the school after a staff member smelled natural gas in the library, said Fire Division Chief Brandon Whitmore.
- PUB DATE: 1/7/2020 2:29:48 PM - SOURCE: Janesville Gazette

De Pere Fire Department shares key steps to making a successful ice rescue

VIDEO: As winter continues, the risk of an accident while out on the ice remains. FOX 11's Maggie LaMere spends the morning with members of the De Pere City Fire Department and learns the practices they use to ensure safety while out on the ice! The department shares ice safety basics, steps used when making a rescue and a demonstration of a rescue using a portable rescue boat.
- PUB DATE: 1/7/2020 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Fox 11 Online

Fire destroys Clay Banks home in Door County

Fire destroyed a home Saturday night just north of Algoma, but all its inhabitants managed to escape. The house, on the 600 block of Lower Lasalle Road, off of Door County U, ignited just after the family went to bed, Southern Door Fire Department Chief Gary Vandertie said. Firefighters responded about 9:15 p.
- PUB DATE: 1/6/2020 11:23:50 AM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Woman sustains 'significant injuries' in Mount Pleasant house fire

A woman sustained "significant injuries" after a house fire broke out in a Mount Pleasant home. At 11:31 p.m. Sunday, the South Shore Fire Department was dispatched to 1119 N. Summerset Drive for a report of a possible structure fire, according to a South Shore Fire Department news release. Mount Pleasant police officers arrived on scene and confirmed smoke was visible from a single family home.
- PUB DATE: 1/6/2020 9:00:35 AM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times

Authorities identify 2 snowmobilers killed in plunge into northern Wisconsin lake

Authorities have identified the two snowmobile riders who died and a third who survived when their machines plunged into a lake in northern Wisconsin early Sunday morning. Killed were David N. Erdman, 31, of Hubertus, and Kurtis W. Shernell, 27, of Hustisford, the Oneida County Sheriff's Office reported on Monday morning.
- PUB DATE: 1/6/2020 7:42:12 AM - SOURCE: Lacrosse Tribune

Nine people displaced after house fire in Green Bay

Nine people lost their home after a fire on the city’s east side early Monday morning. Fire crews responded to the blaze after 1 a.m. in the 300 block of South Quincy Street and found smoke coming from a first-floor window of a two-story home, according to the Green Bay Metro Fire Department. Officials said firefighters extinguished the blaze in less than 10 minutes.
- PUB DATE: 1/6/2020 3:49:34 AM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Program helps Racine paramedics teach patients ‘how to take care of themselves after that hospital visit’

In 2019, roughly 75% of the 911 calls received by the Racine Fire Department were for medical emergencies, and firefighters expect that to grow. An emerging program within the department is aimed at combating this problem at home. FOX6 News on Sunday, Jan. 5 caught up with Braiden Moriarity, Racine firefighter/paramedic, as he made home medical visits.
- PUB DATE: 1/5/2020 8:52:21 PM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6

5-alarm apartment fire in Genoa City displaces 12 residents

Dozens of firefighters from multiple departments responded to a large apartment fire Sunday morning in Genoa City. The five-alarm fire was reported just before 9 a.m. at the Pebble Brook Apartment complex on Walworth Street. William McCormack was visiting family across the street. He said he didn’t think twice about running in.
- PUB DATE: 1/5/2020 2:41:54 PM - SOURCE: WISN-TV ABC 12 Milwaukee

Sather Family Dental in Chetek destroyed by fire

A fire destroyed Sather Family Dental and the clinic’s half completed expansion on Douglas Street in Chetek on Friday evening, Jan. 3. Reports of the fire were received before 9 p.m. and Chetek, New Auburn, Cameron, Barron and Rice Lake fire departments were called to the scene. Rice Lake Fire Department deployed its aerial ladder to spray water from above.
- PUB DATE: 1/4/2020 1:44:57 AM - SOURCE: Chetek Alert

Racine house fire dispatches family of four, causes $85k in damage

An accidental house fire Thursday night displaced a family of four on Racine's South side and caused an estimated $85,000 in damage, the Racine Fire Department reported. At approximately 10:47 p.m., Racine fire crews responded to a house fire at 2060 Deane Blvd. Three adults and a 12 year-old girl had exited the home on their own.
- PUB DATE: 1/3/2020 6:46:19 AM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times

New emergency alert system in use for Onalaska

A new emergency communication system is in place for Onalaska residents. The city will now work with the ‘RAVE’ alert system. The system replaced the Code Red platform the city worked with through the end of 2019. ‘RAVE’ will be put in place in other communities in La Crosse County in the future as well.
- PUB DATE: 1/2/2020 3:46:14 PM - SOURCE: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse

Pages