City Fire Department officials report that the department has experienced a large increase in carbon monoxide alarm calls lately.
Lt. John Magnus of the department's Fire Prevention Bureau advises residents that most carbon monoxide alarms are only designed for seven to 10 years use. There is a chirp that sounds to alert residents when the unit reaches the end of its recommended service life; this chirp will sound every 30 seconds. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 6:08:35 PM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times
Osseo community members made plans to form an emergency event community support group.
Locals and business owners in Osseo held a pre-planning meeting at the Osseo Rural Fire Department where they discussed a way for volunteers to help in the event of an emergency.
With the opening of the new Fire Station and emergency events, such as the forty car pile-up on I-94 in February, the Fire Department is looking for community members to offer a helping hand. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 5:12:15 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
Multiple emergency departments responded Monday to a fire at The Springs – Your United Methodist Community, 2820 Plover Springs Drive.
Crews arrived at the church around 11 a.m., Plover Deputy Fire Chief Ken Voss said. Light smoke was showing when they arrived, he said, but heavy smoke and flames developed shortly after. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 11:56:16 AM - SOURCE: Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune
The Hartland Fire Department is in a state of dysfunction, but also that it is operationally ready to respond to emergencies, according to a study.
The department was audited by Five Bugle Training & Consulting to evaluate the fire department since Fire Chief Dave Dean took over in 2014.
"It is the opinion of the consultant that the Hartland Fire Department is in a state of dysfunction regarding leadership practices and creating a culture of inclusiveness," the audit concluded. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 10:56:41 AM - SOURCE: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Dane County may be the second-most populous county in Wisconsin and home to the state’s capital, but it doesn’t exempt the area from the occasional agricultural accident. It’s why the Dane County Farm Bureau and multiple agents of Rural Mutual Insurance Co. found it important to sponsor a recent ag rescue training, with the Farm Bureau fronting two-thirds of the cost for 10 area fire departments to participate. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 8:18:22 AM - SOURCE: Eau Claire Leader-Telegram
What kid doesn't want to squirt water at an imaginary fire?
With that question, which really needs no answer, Neenah officials have set out to create a firefighter-themed splash pad at Washington Park.
The splash pad will feature water cannons, fountains and sprays that will inspire children to pretend they are heroic firefighters saving the day. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 7:52:35 AM - SOURCE: Fond du Lac Reporter
Firefighters on Monday morning, March 18 responded to the scene of house fire in Union Grove. It happened near 13th Avenue and High Street.
According to officials, a neighbor notified authorities shortly before 5 a.m. of flames coming from the windows of the home. The neighbor also indicated he didn’t see anyone coming out. - PUB DATE: 3/18/2019 6:17:56 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
Members of the Eau Claire Fire and Rescue team are rolling up their sleeves to help install free smoke detectors donated by the Red Cross.
"Assess the house to see what detectors you have, if they are still good, if they are in a good location and then figure out where to put the new ones," said Eau Claire Fire Inspector Jason Knecht. - PUB DATE: 3/17/2019 3:09:17 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
A Milwaukee paramedic's life was honored on Saturday, March 16 after he lost his battle with cancer last week. While he wasn't killed on the job, his passing is still considered a line-of-duty death.
Paramedic Lieutenant Odell Minor served for the Milwaukee Fire Department for more than 24 years. He's been described as a kind soul and good mentor for young paramedics. - PUB DATE: 3/16/2019 2:45:46 PM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
Milwaukee firefighters spent Friday morning going door-to-door installing smoke alarms. The campaign to prevent fires comes after a man and 4-year-old boy were killed in a house fire earlier this week.
Milwaukee firefighters handed out smoke alarms near 39th and Silver Spring by the house where an elderly man and a child were killed in a fire this week. - PUB DATE: 3/15/2019 11:35:39 AM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
A man is dead after a crash involving a semitractor trailer and a car Thursday afternoon in the Dunn County town of Red Cedar.
According to a news release from the Dunn County sheriff’s office:
The department received report of a crash at the intersection of U.S. 12 and Highway B at about 3:07 p.m. - PUB DATE: 3/14/2019 7:54:04 PM - SOURCE: Eau Claire Leader-Telegram
First responders and a good Samaritan helped rescue a dog from icy Monona waters Thursday morning, officials said.
The Monona Fire Department said firefighters and police responded at 10:08 a.m. to the 600 block of Pirate Island for a report of a dog that had somehow fallen into the water and couldn't get up on the ice to get out. - PUB DATE: 3/14/2019 3:08:26 PM - SOURCE: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison
The rapid snow melt has become too much to handle for many southern Wisconsin rivers and streams, with flooding reported on dozens of highways, people being evacuated in Fond du Lac and at least one record breaking water level in Columbia County.
In Fond du Lac, the Associated Press reported workers have helped as many as 300 people evacuate from their homes because of ice-jam flooding along the Fond du Lac River in eastern Wisconsin. - PUB DATE: 3/14/2019 11:50:32 AM - SOURCE: Lacrosse Tribune
The Fond du Lac Fire Department is working to rescue people from flooded roads and homes near the Fond du Lac River as water rises Thursday morning.
Just before 9 a.m., Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue Chief Peter O'Leary confirmed authorities are evacuating an apartment complex situated along the river on Western Avenue. - PUB DATE: 3/14/2019 7:43:58 AM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette
Firefighters on Wednesday night, March 13 were called out to the Best Buy store in the Village of Kohler for reports of a fire. The call came in around 10:40 p.m.
Upon arrival, crews observed smoke coming through the roof — and the windows were blackened with smoke.
Numerous surrounding fire departments were requested to assist. - PUB DATE: 3/14/2019 6:49:32 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
A three stall unattached garage is a total loss after a fire late Wednesday night.
Just before 11:30 p.m., fire crews were called to the scene at 1163 Eastman Ave., according to a press release from the Green Bay Metro Fire Department.
When firefighters arrived they found the garage fully engulfed in flames, the fire department said. - PUB DATE: 3/14/2019 5:35:28 AM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette
As Rusty Witthuhn watched smoke come out from, a now frail Author's Kitchen + Bar, he couldn't help but reminisce about his childhood.
"My parents brought me here to buy shoes when I was a kid," said Witthuhn. "Since then it's been a number of different restaurants."
"We had significant fire around us and conditions were worsening, we pulled crews out and went to a defensive attack," said Appleton Battalion Fire Chief Ethan Kroll. - PUB DATE: 3/13/2019 2:37:42 PM - SOURCE: WLUK TV Fox 11
People in Milwaukee are mourning a man and a child killed in a house fire on the city's north side.
Fire officials say incidents like this are what they're trained for, but they say any loss is hard not just for a community but for firefighters as well.
"I just felt for the family because they were here screaming and crying," said Nicole Russ, a witness. - PUB DATE: 3/13/2019 1:12:51 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
Firefighters on Tuesday night, March 12 responded to the scene of a shed fire on State Highway 32 in Sheboygan Falls. The call came in around 10:30 p.m.
When crews arrived on scene, they observed one of two sheds fully engulfed in fire. There was fencing surrounding the two sheds — and several cats within the fenced area were saved. - PUB DATE: 3/13/2019 5:35:23 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
An apartment building is destroyed in a fire in Appleton.
It broke out around 2 a.m. Wednesday near the 200 block of North Appleton Street.
The building's owner says 7 people lived in these apartments and were home at the time of the fire.
Fire crews say 8 tenants were evacuated safely.
Officials say they believe this is a natural gas fire but they still can't confirm a cause. - PUB DATE: 3/13/2019 3:32:44 AM - SOURCE: NBC26