Public servants will square off in two upcoming charity events, pitting law enforcement against firefighters in the name of raising money for good causes.
Oshkosh firefighters and police officers will compete in a charity hockey game 3 p.m. Saturday at the Oshkosh Community YMCA, 3303 W. 20th Ave.
Guns ‘N Hoses is an annual hockey game that pits the city's firefighters and police officers against each other in some friendly competition to raise money for a local charity. - PUB DATE: 2/26/2020 7:36:40 AM - SOURCE: Oshkosh Northwestern
Several De Pere Police and firefighters were honored on Tuesday for going above and beyond the call at the 5th annual Outstanding Public Safety Member Recognition Day.
Ilde Nielson, owner of Ogan Restaurant, will never forget April 24, 2019 as she watched the building go up in flames and collapse.
She nominated Firefighter/EMT William Tews and Lieutenant Tom Hendricks, for their work during and after the fire. - PUB DATE: 2/25/2020 9:53:19 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay
The Wausau Finance Committee agreed to purchase two new fire engines for the Wausau Fire Department during their meeting on Tuesday.
According to the Wausau Fire Department, the current fleet of fire engines is near retirement and firefighters have run into issues operating them during emergencies. - PUB DATE: 2/25/2020 8:40:14 PM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
Yet another heated exchange between Wheatland Town Chairman Bill Glembocki and Fire Chief Lou Denko at the Monday Town Board meeting accentuated the tension surrounding the effort to design a new firehouse.
Both acknowledged an unwillingness to back down, but in the end agreed to meet this week in an attempt to move forward. - PUB DATE: 2/25/2020 1:04:52 PM - SOURCE: Kenosha News
Their jobs are among the most dangerous available, but more firefighters die by suicide than by the dangers of their jobs.
It's a startling statistic Milwaukee firefighters are all too familiar with.
Brent Jones, a 20 year veteran of the Milwaukee Fire Department, almost became part of that group several times while dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. - PUB DATE: 2/25/2020 7:48:57 AM - SOURCE: WTMJ-TV NBC 4 Milwaukee
The Wind Lake Volunteer Fire Company incurred a large expense for medical bills in 2018 when emergency responders encountered what they thought may have been a victim with rabies.
Two and half years later, they are nearing a final decision on how to pay those bills relating to rabies vaccines.
Five Wind Lake emergency medical technicians were treated with a preventative vaccine. - PUB DATE: 2/25/2020 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: The Journal Times
Milton Fire Department is in the midst of a “staffing crisis,” due to a lack of volunteer firefighters, according to Chief Ernest Rhodes.
While Rhodes is unsure of the reason behind the shortage, he said it’s been difficult to have more than one or two people respond to calls.
“Fires and medical emergencies takes staff. - PUB DATE: 2/24/2020 3:41:00 PM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison
If it’s been a decade since you put new smoke detectors in your home, it’s time to get them replaced.
Fortunately, Oconto Fire and Rescue Department has some that local homeowners can not only get, but installed as well, for free.
The department received 60 smoke alarms from the American Red Cross, which partners with local fire departments and agencies to provide the devices. - PUB DATE: 2/24/2020 8:43:36 AM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette
A man was rescued from the second story of a burning home Saturday, Feb. 22, in Ashland.
The Ashland Fire Department responded to a fire at 3:35 p.m. where male was reportedly trapped on the second floor, the department said on Facebook. Crews managed to reach the second floor with a ladder and rescue the man. - PUB DATE: 2/24/2020 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Bemidji Pioneer
According to the incident report, one person was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at Best Western in Eau Claire.
When crews arrived they found a dryer on fire on the first floor of the hotel.
People were let back inside the hotel once it was cleared by crews. According to the report, the fire did not extend into the structure and crews worked to ventilate the hotel using positive pressure fans. - PUB DATE: 2/22/2020 3:59:58 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
No one was injured but a person was displaced after a fire broke out at an Appleton home early Saturday morning.
Shortly before 1 a.m., firefighters responded to a call about a fire in the 700 block of West Wisconsin Avenue, according to the Appleton Fire Department. There was smoke coming from the house's chimney and roof and flames were also visible. - PUB DATE: 2/22/2020 3:04:41 PM - SOURCE: Appleton Post-Gazette & Post Crescent.com
The Milton Fire Commission approved a new staffing format Thursday aimed to help firefighters respond more quickly to calls and ease what Fire Chief Ernie Rhodes called a “staffing crisis.”
The Milton department will have one full-time firefighter and three paid on-premise firefighters available to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day Monday through Friday. - PUB DATE: 2/21/2020 3:06:44 AM - SOURCE: Janesville Gazette
The Milwaukee Fire Department is already in training for a building that hasn't broken ground yet. Ascent, an apartment building near downtown Milwaukee expected to break ground in a few months, has a tall timber frame. At 25-stories, it is expected to be the tallest building of its kind in the world. - PUB DATE: 2/20/2020 7:38:23 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
Bed bugs can be hard to spot and even tougher to get rid of. The City of Waukesha Fire Department has a new tool to fight the problem -- and make sure every ambulance is clean. Kira Benkert is getting an ambulance ready for the day's first patient -- including making sure there aren't any unwanted passengers: bed bugs. - PUB DATE: 2/20/2020 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: WITI-TV FOX 6 Milwaukee
In the last two months, there have been three major house fires in Merrill. Two have been deadly, and in the most recent there were injuries.
Chief Josh Klug says one of the things the Merrill Fire Department has always prided itself on is the amount of fire prevention they do within the community. - PUB DATE: 2/19/2020 6:39:44 PM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
The state Assembly has approved giving more time to the Village of Mount Pleasant to build a new fire station near the Wisconn Valley Technology Park using tax funds to be generated by Foxconn.
Under the initial state bill, passed in 2017, Mount Pleasant would have had until 2024 to build a new fire station either within the Foxconn zone or within 1 mile of the zone, according to Claude Lois, the village’s contracted project director for the Foxconn development. - PUB DATE: 2/19/2020 3:04:07 PM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times - Metered Site
Wheatland Fire Chief Lou Denko spent months meeting with town residents to address any potential concerns or questions involving plans to build a new $3.8 million fire station.
On Wednesday, it was back to the drawing board.
The non-binding referendum stated: “Should the Town Board issue bonds or other debt issues in order to borrow up to $3. - PUB DATE: 2/19/2020 1:06:13 PM - SOURCE: Kenosha News
Given the recent local and national media coverage regarding the potential environmental hazards of substances that contain the chemical compounds perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl, known more commonly as PFAS, the Monona Fire Department is taking proactive measures to remove PFAS-containing firefighting foam from its fleet. - PUB DATE: 2/19/2020 1:05:19 PM - SOURCE: Monona / Cottage Grove Herald Independent
The Sparta Fire Chief Mike Arnold says no injuries were reported after a fire broke out on a porch in Sparta Wednesday around 5:34 a.m.
The family was alerted to the fire by their cat and smoke detectors, which allowed them to get out of the residence safely.
Arnold says the home, located on Kent Street in Sparta, had moderate smoke damage and minor water damage. - PUB DATE: 2/19/2020 11:54:44 AM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
The Stoughton Fire Department has selected a new cheif, according to The Stoughton Courier Hub.
Squad leader Josh Ripp will replace former chief Scott Wegner, who retired on Jan. 2.
Since Wegner’s retirement, Mark Miller served as interim chief.
Ripp has been a volunteer with the department for five years and worked as fire chief for seven years with the Maple Bluff Fire Department. - PUB DATE: 2/19/2020 7:55:06 AM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison