If you have an emergency, call 911 immediately!

Wisconsin Fire News

Eau Claire Fire Department urges community to help "Keep the Wreath Green"

The Eau Claire Fire Department hopes its holiday season tradition will help to prevent fires in the community. The department announced on Tuesday that it is placing five-foot wreaths in front of its stations. They are decorated with green lights, a symbol of a fire safe community. If a fire in the city causes any structural damage to a home or business between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day, the department will replace a green light on the wreath with a red light.
- PUB DATE: 11/22/2016 8:59:37 AM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News

Lake Geneva firefigher/EMTs train with ballistic gear

Firefighter/EMTs are used to running toward fire rather than away from it. But one kind of fire they've traditionally not trained for is gunfire. That's changing. With an increase in active-shooter situations, EMTs are now sheathing themselves in the same kind of protection usually seen on SWAT team members.
- PUB DATE: 11/22/2016 1:49:11 AM - SOURCE: Lake Geneva News

Hidden Threat: Firefighters face High Cancer Risk

VIDEO: When firefighters run into a burning building it isn't the flames that are most dangerous it's the smoke. The International Fire Association has deemed every house fire a hazardous material incident because of the increasing levels of hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide. “Right now cancer is the number one killer of firefighters in America,” said Curtis Dunn with the Firefighter Cancer Support Network.
- PUB DATE: 11/21/2016 9:35:36 PM - SOURCE: WGBA-TV NBC 26 Green Bay

Crews fight fire at Laona supper club

A fire at a recently opened Forest County supper club closed Highway 8 for hours Monday night. Crews responded to the Silver Lake Inn just west of Laona around 6 p.m. As of 8 p.m. Monday, firefighters were still working to put out the fire in the main restaurant building. Flames were seen coming out of the roof on the east side.
- PUB DATE: 11/21/2016 8:33:34 PM - SOURCE: WJFW-TV NBC 12 Rhinelander-Wausau

Off-duty Fond du Lac firefighter comes to aid of crash victim

VIDEO: An off-duty Fond du Lac firefighter was in the right place at the right time, coming to the aid of an injured motorist following a serious car accident on Friday night. Division Chief Troy Haase, with the Fond du Lac Fire Department, was on his way to deer camp with his 18 year old son on Friday night when the two came across an accident on Highway 23 just west of Fond du Lac.
- PUB DATE: 11/21/2016 3:38:02 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay

As exterior work finishes up, Chippewa Falls fire chief ecstatic about new station

PHOTO: Width-wise, it’s comparable to a medium-sized bathroom. Compared to the three acres of land the Chippewa Falls Fire Department’s new station sits on, that isn’t very much. But the training tower is Chief Mike Hepfler’s favorite place on the whole lot, which is located at 1301 Chippewa Crossing Boulevard.
- PUB DATE: 11/21/2016 4:11:56 AM - SOURCE: Chippewa Herald

Richmond barn fire kills more than 20 sheep

A pole barn fire killed more than 20 sheep and cost $125,000 in damages Friday night. At approximately 9:54 p.m. Darien and Sharon Fire departments responded to a fire at W8694 Kilkinney Road. Additional assistance came from city of Delavan firefighters, according to a Darien Fire Department news release.
- PUB DATE: 11/20/2016 4:35:48 AM - SOURCE: Janesville Gazette

Saturday fire destroys building, sends Superior firefighter to hospital

A Saturday morning fire destroyed a multi-tenant residence at 3420 N. 21st St. and displaced three residents. One firefighter experienced medical difficulties and had to exit the structure, according to a release from Battalion Chief Scott Gordon with the Superior Fire Department. The firefighter was taken by ambulance to St.
- PUB DATE: 11/20/2016 1:44:18 AM - SOURCE: Daily Telegram-Superior

Garage attached to Harshaw home catches fire

VIDEO: The home of two elderly residents in Harshaw caught on fire Saturday afternoon. Officials say the fire started somewhere in the garage. Town of Cassian Fire Chief Ed Tadych says the department got the call around 1:19 p.m. Tadych did not say what may have caused the fire, but says the structure on Lakewood Road may be a total loss because of the holes crews had to cut, in order to find the heat.
- PUB DATE: 11/19/2016 8:55:21 PM - SOURCE: WJFW-TV NBC 12 Rhinelander-Wausau

PHOTOS: Madison Fire Dept. welcomes firefighter, National Guard member home

A Madison firefighter returned home Friday from his tour of duty with the Wisconsin Army National Guard, and his colleagues from Madison Fire Department Station 7 were at the airport to welcome him. Wong spent eight months in Baghdad, MFD said. "His families (at home and at the firehouse) are thrilled to have him back.
- PUB DATE: 11/19/2016 4:29:13 PM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison

Firefighters battle storage facility fire in Little Chute

VIDEO: It took hours, but a storage unit fire in Little Chute was finally brought under control. Nobody was hurt as a building at Apple Storage on Sanatorium road in Little Chute caught fire last night. The Little Chute, Kimberly, And Combined Locks fire departments all responded to smoke and flames that were in several units in the back end of the the storage complex.
- PUB DATE: 11/18/2016 8:26:35 AM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay

South Milwaukee Fire Displaces Three Families

The Red Cross is assisting 3 families following an apartment fire in South Milwaukee overnight. According to the South Milwaukee Fire Department, ten people were displaced by the 11:30 PM fire. The fire started in a kitchen in one of the units in the multi-family home at 13th and Manistique Avenues. The fire then extended into the attic of the building.
- PUB DATE: 11/18/2016 4:01:00 AM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee

One Madison district faces delayed emergency response times

Delayed response times are one of the biggest concerns for fire departments, home to not only fire engines but also ambulances. They're so crucial, at times, it could mean the difference between life and death. So you can imagine the alarm when it took crews three times longer than average to arrive at a call on Madison's southeast side.
- PUB DATE: 11/17/2016 9:42:37 PM - SOURCE: WKOW-TV 27 ABC

Howard Female Firefighters: Knocking Down Barriers

Aside from putting in hours at the Howard Fire Department, Kelly Krause, Sam Hackl and Carrie Rentmeester have something in common: All were told at one point in their lives that their gender meant they probably would not make it as firefighters. “I was told by a few I was too tiny,” Krause, the department’s newest female recruit, said.
- PUB DATE: 11/17/2016 7:02:26 PM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Fire destroys rural Clinton shed Wednesday night

A 20-by-40-foot unoccupied shed was destroyed by fire Wednesday in rural Clinton. “It was a total loss,” said Clinton Fire Chief John F. Rindfleisch. Owner Jared Nortier reported the fire at 8719 E. Highway 67, at 5:21 p.m. Wednesday. When firefighters were dispatched from the village, less then 4 miles away from the fire, they could see a glow from the sky, Rindfleisch said.
- PUB DATE: 11/17/2016 4:47:33 AM - SOURCE: Janesville Gazette

Merrill Fire Dept. Firefighter Paramedic honored with Firemark Award for Community Service

On Tuesday, Liberty Mutual Insurance celebrated one of America’s firefighters for his commitment to the community by honoring Merrill Fire Department Firefighter Paramedic Jon Leiskau with the Liberty Mutual Firemark Award for Community Service. The award was presented by Liberty Mutual Representative, Julie Sternal, to FF/PM Leiskau for his continued commitment to the City of Merrill and the Merrill Fire Department.
- PUB DATE: 11/16/2016 11:47:28 PM - SOURCE: Merrill Foto News

Update: Cudahy Man Facing Arson Charges, Claims he lit a Spider on Fire inside Snack Factory

VIDEO: A 24-year-old Cudady man is charged with starting a fire inside a Waukesha County snack factory. His reason? He saw a spider. According to a criminal complaint, Kevin Butler noticed the spider on a sack of almonds while working at A.L. Schutzman Company in October. The complaint says he "proceeded to light the spider on fire, which is something he has done since childhood.
- PUB DATE: 11/16/2016 8:32:15 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee

Marshfield man warns of potential chimney dangers after house fire

VIDEO: A Marshfield man is warning homeowners to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected regularly, after his own may be to blame for a fire that destroyed his living room. On Saturday night, Kurt Dovenbarger started a fire in his fireplace to help warm up his house. He put his 8 year-old son, Kade, to bed, then he went to sleep shortly afterward.
- PUB DATE: 11/16/2016 5:29:36 PM - SOURCE: WAOW-TV ABC 9-Wausau

Garbage can fire causes evacuation of Fond du Lac High School

Fond du Lac High School was evacuated for about an hour Tuesday afternoon because of a fire in a garbage can. Firefighters say they were called to the school around 1:50 p.m. for a report of a fire in a second-floor men's bathroom. The building was evacuated, and a staff member was able to put the fire out.
- PUB DATE: 11/16/2016 6:43:32 AM - SOURCE: WLUK TV Fox 11

Rescue dog Lacy saved by Sheboygan firefighters

Firefighters from three departments employed three firefighting apparatus, two boats and an all-terrain vehicle, Tuesday to rescue a dog that fell off a 10-foot cliff at Jaycee Quarry View Park in Sheboygan. The dog, a Springer Spaniel named Lacy, went over the cliff shortly after 6 p.m. and landed in the water before becoming trapped on the cliff's ledge near the waterline, according to a news release from the City of Sheboygan Fire Department.
- PUB DATE: 11/16/2016 6:39:11 AM - SOURCE: Oshkosh Northwestern

Pages