Firefighters on Friday morning, Dec. 6 responded to the scene of a two-alarm fire near MLK Drive and Clarke. The call came in around 4:34 a.m. Clara Mohammed School on Wright Street canceled classes for Friday due to the fire.
Upon arrival, fire officials found fire o the first floor, extending vertically to the second floor and eventually the third floor. - PUB DATE: 12/6/2019 3:37:54 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
With Thanksgiving behind us and Christmas and New Year's right around the corner, the Beloit Fire Department wants residents to have a safe and festive holiday season.
The department hung up its annual holiday fire safety wreath with green lights the day after Thanksgiving. Any time a fire is reported in the city, a red light will be added to the wreath, and when a fatal fire occurs, a blue light will be added. - PUB DATE: 12/5/2019 8:41:22 AM - SOURCE: Beloit Daily News
Village trustees passed a resolution on Monday night urging the Racine County Communications Center to adopt a practice of dispatching the nearest available emergency medical unit, and requesting that all county communities west of Interstate 94 pass similar resolutions.
The move to closest-unit dispatch would mean when an emergency call comes in, dispatchers would send the closest available first responders, regardless of municipal borders. - PUB DATE: 12/5/2019 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: The Journal Times
A new bill could expand housing assistance for volunteer emergency responders.
The Volunteer First Responder Housing Act was introduced by a number of lawmakers including Wisconsin Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) on Wednesday.
The bill makes it possible for volunteer firefighters and other responders to be a part of government programs that make housing options more affordable. - PUB DATE: 12/4/2019 9:45:36 PM - SOURCE: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse
A home in Grafton is considered a "total loss" after a fire in Grafton.
Firefighters responded to 585 High Bluff Drive shortly before 5:00 p.m. Wednesday. Grafton Fire Chief William Rice said a fireplace in a bedroom started something on fire.
Firefighters say they believe the family tried to take the items outside and got them to a window, but strong winds contributed to causing a "substantial fire. - PUB DATE: 12/4/2019 4:49:32 PM - SOURCE: Today's TMJ4
The Galesville Area Volunteer Fire Chief took to Facebook to voice his concerns for the safety of his emergency workers.
According to the post, the department responded to a two-vehicle head-on collision yesterday which involved rerouting traffic for over an hour. One fireman, in full gear with a reflective vest and lighted stop sign, had to jump out of the way twice for vehicles failing to slow down. - PUB DATE: 12/4/2019 10:52:15 AM - SOURCE: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse
The Basilica of St. Josaphat on Milwaukee’s south side is trying to raise more than a half of a million dollars to install a new state-of-the-art fire system.
CBS 58 has covered its many restorations, in the last 25 years, more than $20 million have gone into building repairs and restoration.
Milwaukee's fire chief, Mark Rohlfing, says the fire system upgrade would cost $580,000. - PUB DATE: 12/3/2019 8:42:07 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
In the past, the town of Medary has relied on the city of Onalaska to provide fire, and emergency services to their town.
But in recent years, the town has used services from the City of La Crosse's fire department on a short term basis.
Now, they're looking at a long term commitment with the city. - PUB DATE: 12/3/2019 5:28:04 PM - SOURCE: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse
If you've gone shopping in our area, you are probably familiar with Salvation Army bell ringers.
While the donations all go to the same place some of our area's bravest and finest had some fun with the competition Tuesday.
Police and Fire Chiefs from La Crosse and Onalaska faced off in a friendly competition this afternoon. - PUB DATE: 12/3/2019 4:48:14 PM - SOURCE: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse
The Superior Fire Department’s snowmobile and rescue sled started going on medical runs about suppertime Saturday, Nov. 30.
By Monday afternoon, it had been deployed at least 30 times and was still responding to medical emergencies on side streets that had yet to be cleared.
“It’s been busy,” said Battalion Chief Steve Edwards with the department. - PUB DATE: 12/3/2019 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Duluth News Tribune
A 21-year tradition continued in Oshkosh Monday night, with the first of five parades around the city to collect donations for the Salvation Army.
“We go around with the fire trucks and pick up food and toys for the citizens of Oshkosh,” Firefighter Brian Blaha of the Oshkosh Fire Department explained. - PUB DATE: 12/2/2019 8:54:11 PM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay
Officials say a Milwaukee Fire Department ambulance was struck by a car near Keefe and MLK on Tuesday, Dec. 2 while transporting a patient from another location.
Authorities say a firefighter in back was injured and taken by another ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital along with the initial patient.
The driver of the second vehicle was also taken to a local hospital. - PUB DATE: 12/2/2019 7:40:31 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
Columbus Books and Beer welcomes Wisconsin author and retired Milwaukee firefighter Gregory Renz for a discussion about his award-winning novel “Beneath the Flames” Thursday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. at Cercis Brewing Company, 140 N. Dickason, Columbus.
Renz’s debut novel has gained attention with some stellar endorsements and reviews, including one from Jacquelyn Mitchard, author of the bestselling novel, “The Deep End of the Ocean. - PUB DATE: 12/2/2019 10:35:46 AM - SOURCE: Columbus Journal - Metered Site
Elected officials from the Village and Town of Waterford and the Village of Rochester agree: A joint fire and emergency medical services district would benefit all three municipalities.
But at least 22 years after a consolidated department was first proposed, the chance of a district for these western Racine County communities appears further off than ever. - PUB DATE: 12/2/2019 4:57:00 AM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times - Metered Site
Christmas trees and string lights bring the holidays to life for some. However, first responders say those decorations can raise the risk of winter fires.
The Merrill Fire Department wants people to know what they can do to prevent house fires this season.
To raise awareness within the community, the department kicked off its annual "Keep the Wreath Green" campaign the day after Thanksgiving. - PUB DATE: 12/1/2019 8:16:27 PM - SOURCE: WJFW-TV NBC 12 Rhinelander-Wausau
No one was injured after a storage building caught on fire in Grand Chute Saturday afternoon.
Around 3:56 p.m., the Grand Chute Fire Department was dispatched to 920 S. Mayflower Dr. for the report of a structure fire.
Arriving firefighters from different departments, found heavy smoke and flames coming through the roof of a metal storage building. - PUB DATE: 11/30/2019 7:42:48 PM - SOURCE: WFRV-TV and WJMN-TV Green Bay
An 82-year-old woman died in a late night fire on Thanksgiving that also sent her 91-year-old husband to the hospital, according to the Dodge Co. Sheriff's Office. Her family told NBC15 her name was Eleanor "Ellie" Neumann. Her husband, Ruben, suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the fire and was taken to Marshfield Medical Center. - PUB DATE: 11/29/2019 12:39:13 PM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison
Waterloo Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Tina Lange was recently honored as the 2019 Wisconsin EMS Association EMT of the Year at the Wisconsin EMS Association Conference and Expo held in Wisconsin Dells.
Lange has been active in many roles since joining the Waterloo Fire Department in November 1995 and becoming a Waterloo EMT in 1997. - PUB DATE: 11/27/2019 5:28:25 AM - SOURCE: Watertown Daily Times
Every fire station in Appleton has a wreath outside of it, but it’s not just a decoration for the holidays.
Battalion Chief Derek Henson says they’re kicking off their annual campaign to prevent fires through the end of the year.
The wreaths have green bulbs in them. A bulb will be replaced with a red one, whenever there’s a fire in the city. - PUB DATE: 11/27/2019 3:57:44 AM - SOURCE: WHBY-AM 1150 News Talk
Students from St. Mark Lutheran School in Eau Claire took time to put care packages together for the Eau Claire Fire Department.
This was part of an annual Thanksgiving service project, but packing for firefighters was a first for the school.
All 90 students at St. Mark put the packages together.
"It's something we do a number of times per year, where we divide up the students into different teams - where we have preschools, kindergarten, first graders and so on all the way through the grades - just to get the kids working together in teams, so they can get a little bit of team-building and and get them working together," said St. - PUB DATE: 11/26/2019 8:09:49 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News