Eau Claire firefighters were called to put out a car fire at the intersection of Clairemont Avenue and Craig Road shortly before 3 p.m. on Monday.
According to a News 18 reporter on scene, the vehicle was in the left turn lane on Clairemont Ave. Flames were showing when the reporter arrived, but he said firefighters were able to put out the fire a few minutes later. - PUB DATE: 1/8/2018 2:17:11 PM - SOURCE: WQOW-TV ABC 18 Eau Claire
PHOTO: There was a house fire last night on the west side of Wausau. It was reported around 6pm on 5th Avenue, and was under control about an hour later. The Wausau Fire Department says the fire started on a stove in the kitchen. Flames traveled through the vents, and the fire got into the attic. A thick smoke was seen coming from the upper floors when firefighters arrived. - PUB DATE: 1/8/2018 5:28:43 AM - SOURCE: WDEZ-FM 101.9
Fire destroyed a bedroom in a home on Kenosha’s near north side Sunday, displacing a family of four. Firefighters were called at 4:51 p.m to the home at 1606 38th St. where fire apparently broke out in a rear bedroom, according to Kenosha Fire Department Battalion Chief Matthew Haerter. No injuries were reported to either the residents or firefighters, he said. - PUB DATE: 1/8/2018 2:26:34 AM - SOURCE: Kenosha News
A fire caused extensive damage Sunday to a two-story farmhouse at W849 Aebischer Road in Charlestown. Chilton Fire Chief Gary Halbach said part of the house was brought down with a backhoe. Another part was still standing but had a lot of smoke and water damage. "It's probably a total loss or a major loss," Halbach told USA Today Network-Wisconsin. - PUB DATE: 1/8/2018 1:48:49 AM - SOURCE: Appleton Post-Gazette & Post Crescent.com
A fire at a Lyndon Station lumber mill caused roughly $2 million in damage and left one firefighter injured Sunday morning, Lyndon Station Fire Department Chief Larry Whaley said. Firefighters responded to Stan's Industrial Woodwork at 251 Industrial Ave. at around 7 a.m. for reports of a structure fire. - PUB DATE: 1/7/2018 8:03:53 PM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison
VIDEO: A former chief for the Chippewa Fire District, and former Lake Hallie Village Board President, John Neihart passed away Sunday after a brief battle with cancer. The Chippewa Fire District shared the news on its Facebook page Sunday. In the post, the Fire District thanked Neihart for everything he's given to the fire service and all the firefighters he has touched. - PUB DATE: 1/7/2018 7:23:15 PM - SOURCE: WQOW-TV ABC 18 Eau Claire
Family, fellow firefighters and community members are mourning the death of Wisconsin Rapids firefighter Jim Easton Friday.
Easton died unexpectedly on Jan. 1. His funeral funeral took place at 11 a.m. Friday and the fire department plans a large funeral procession afterward.
Easton was a member of the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department for 22 years, serving the last 12 years as a motor pump operator. - PUB DATE: 1/5/2018 10:09:24 AM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
Bellevue Fire and Rescue responded to a garage fire, just after 8am Friday. Crews were dispatched to the 2000 block of Lane Road. Smoke and fire was coming out of the garage when the fire department arrived. A large amount of damage occurred in the attic, and it is believed that is where the fire started. - PUB DATE: 1/5/2018 9:44:00 AM - SOURCE: WTAQ 97.5-FM & 1360-AM
Ron Burton blames his dad. The town of St. Joseph fire chief recalls how his father, an assistant fire chief running a truck out of Burkhardt, would take him along on fire calls decades ago. Burton remembers the allure of the siren wails and light flashes as they responded to calls. "It was a pretty cool thing for a little boy," he said. - PUB DATE: 1/5/2018 6:34:23 AM - SOURCE: New Richmond News
VIDEO: Take 3,000 blocks of ice, more than 100 volunteers, and a community built on ice and snow, and you've got just about everything you need to a build an ice castle. "This is volunteerism at its best," said Eagle River Fire Chief Michael Anderson. The Eagle River Fire Department takes charge of building the ice castle each year. - PUB DATE: 1/4/2018 5:06:53 PM - SOURCE: WJFW-TV NBC 12 Rhinelander-Wausau
Having his truck break through the ice didn't stop an ice fisherman from heading out onto Lake Winnebago in search of the day's catch. The Oshkosh Fire Dept. says it was called to a spot on the lake less than a mile off Merritt Street, around 5:40 a.m. Firefighters found that the front driver's side wheel of the fisherman's pickup truck had broken through the ice. - PUB DATE: 1/4/2018 9:39:42 AM - SOURCE: WLUK TV Fox 11
Fighting fire is hard enough, but the recent cold snap has made it even harder for local firefighters. Departments in Door and Kewaunee County have responded to at least five fires in the last two weeks when the average temperature struggled to hit the double digits. Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Fire Chief Chris Hecht says fighting fires in the winter bring up a whole new different set of challenges. - PUB DATE: 1/4/2018 5:01:10 AM - SOURCE: Door County Daily News
While caution is taken by many, accidents do happen. In early December, Western Lakes Fire District responded to a dog that fell through Lac La Belle. The department is staffed with 15 divers and has boats in case it needs to make a rescue. Some of the firefighters are trained in ice water diving, while the entire staff is trained in surface water rescue. - PUB DATE: 1/3/2018 7:46:50 PM - SOURCE: Livinglakecountry
VIDEO: A handful of Eagle River firefighters work day after day in the cold to build an ice castle most winters. Now, a local coffee shop wants to say thank you. "It's important that we keep that community tradition alive and whether or not you're just visiting for a day or coming in for a week or you live here, it's really important to support our fire department," said Blend coffee shop owner Angela Anderson. - PUB DATE: 1/3/2018 3:42:25 PM - SOURCE: WJFW-TV NBC 12 Rhinelander-Wausau
A house fire in Seymour overnight brings a big response. According to the Town of Seymour fire chief, crews were call to a home on Cemetery Road just after 8:30 Tuesday night. It appears the fire started in the garage and spread to the home. 2 adults and 3 children were home, but got out safely. But there were 2 pets inside that died. - PUB DATE: 1/3/2018 3:55:30 AM - SOURCE: WIXX-FM 101
A proposal in the state Legislature would require 911 operators to get training to help callers administer CPR to people who need it. Under the proposal, every 911 call station must have people trained to give CPR instructions over the phone, or have a plan to transfer callers to a dispatch center that can provide those instructions. - PUB DATE: 1/3/2018 3:31:03 AM - SOURCE: Daily Telegram-Superior
A Wisconsin Rapids firefighter has died following unspecified injuries suffered over the weekend. Jim Easton, a 22 year veteran of the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Dept., died unexpectedly on New Year's day, according to an announcement from the Wisconsin State Firefighters Memorial. No other information was provided. - PUB DATE: 1/2/2018 7:58:36 PM - SOURCE: WIZD-FM Rock 94.7
Sauk Prairie Ambulance has a new tool that will help improve an individual’s chance of survival. After receiving approval from the Ambulance Commission, Sauk Prairie Ambulance purchased three new Lifepak 15 monitor/defibrillators – one for each of its fleet. The three new units replaced three, 15-year-old models, and do the work of five different machines, according to Kevin Weber, Sauk Prairie Ambulance Director. - PUB DATE: 1/2/2018 6:51:28 PM - SOURCE: wisc news
VIDEO: Four people including a child have been displaced after fire swept through their home near 35th and Custer on Milwaukee's north side. Fire crews were dispatched to the scene around 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, January 2nd. Officials say the home suffered significant damage throughout. The residents will not be able to stay there in the short term. - PUB DATE: 1/2/2018 2:50:14 PM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
More than a dozen people were displaced Monday night after a carbon monoxide leak, Beloit fire officials said. Crews were called around 9:20 p.m. to 725 Vine St. for a leak in a three-unit rental building, according to a release. No one was injured or had any illnesses from the incident because of early detection by a carbon monoxide alarm, officials said. - PUB DATE: 1/2/2018 9:27:39 AM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison