If you have an emergency, call 911 immediately!

Wisconsin Fire News

Classes canceled at Milwaukee school after morning fire

Classes at Messmer Preparatory Catholic School were canceled Friday after an early-morning fire on the south end of the building. School president Jim Piatt said a staff member arriving for work at about 6:30 a.m. heard the fire alarm and called authorities. Firefighters quickly arrived at the school, located on the 3000 block of North Fratney Street in Milwaukee's Riverwest neighborhood.
- PUB DATE: 9/2/2016 9:21:55 AM - SOURCE: WISN-TV ABC 12 Milwaukee

Holmen Fire Department receives grant for new gear

The Holmen Fire Department will soon be replacing their old protective equipment thanks to a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The department is getting nearly 90-thousand dollars through the FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant. Fire departments across the nation can apply for grants through the program to better protect the public and their members.
- PUB DATE: 9/2/2016 7:18:31 AM - SOURCE: WKBT-TV CBS 8 La Crosse

Back to School in Wausau: Police and Firefighters prepare for the worst

While most families spent the last few weeks buying necessities for the new school year, law enforcement and emergency crews worked on skills necessary to keep all students safe. NewsChannel 7's Jeff Thelen found out how crews trained for active shooter situations. Police and firefighters have to do it all the time.
- PUB DATE: 9/2/2016 6:54:46 AM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau

Fire in oven damages Madison's west side restaurant

A fire in a commercial oven early Friday morning caused damage at a restaurant on Gammon Road, according to a release from the Madison Fire Department. Firefighters were called at 12:02 a.m. to Chang Jiang restaurant at 646 S. Gammon Road when a passerby reported seeing smoke coming from the restaurant.
- PUB DATE: 9/2/2016 4:46:29 AM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison

Fire destroys Gilman bowling alley & restaurant

VIDEO: A popular Gilman business went up in flames Thursday afternoon. Pirate's Cove, which was formerly known as the Gilman Bowl, caught fire just after 1:30 PM Thursday. Witnesses say it appeared as though the fire started in the basement and quickly spread throughout the building. Firefighters from Gilman and six nearby towns fought the flames all afternoon, but the business appears to be a total loss.
- PUB DATE: 9/1/2016 2:29:43 PM - SOURCE: WQOW-TV ABC 18 Eau Claire

Wayside volunteer firefighters put out shed fire

Nobody was hurt, but a shed is a total loss after catching fire this afternoon. The abandoned workshop caught fire just after 4 in the afternoon. Several nearby fire departments responded to the call for assistance at 7808 Dickinson Road in the town of Morrison. They were able to extinguish the blaze.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2016 10:16:48 PM - SOURCE: WGBA-TV NBC 26 Green Bay

Milwaukee firefighters called out to conveyor belt fire at Veolia facility

Officials with the Milwaukee Fire Department on Wednesday afternoon, August 31st were called out to a fire at the Veolia facility on Jones Street near Lincoln Memorial Drive in Milwaukee. It happened around 3:00 p.m. Officials say the fire took place in an overheated conveyor belt motor, causing the conveyor belt to catch on fire.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2016 8:53:43 PM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6

Clintonville looks to tackle debt; Cuts rescue-pumper from budget

The Finance Committee for the city of Clintonville has recently held two special meetings to discuss the future path the city takes regarding the city’s capital improvement projects and city debt. The meetings come on the heels of the city’s debt dominating the discussion at several meetings over the past couple months.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2016 12:13:42 PM - SOURCE: Waupaca Now

Custodian mistakenly mixes toxic chemicals at Madison Department of Corrections building

A facility custodian accidentally mixed a toxic combination of chemicals at the Wisconsin Department of Corrections building on Tuesday. The Madison Fire Department says they responded to a report of a chemical spill at about 5:30 p.m. at the DOC building at 3099 East Washington Ave. Paramedics were added to the call when the Dane County 911 Communications Center learned somebody in the building was having trouble breathing.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2016 10:45:53 AM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison

Mother, two children lose Wisconsin Rapids home in fire

A fire forced a mother and her two children from their rental home on Sampson Street Monday evening, according to a fire department captain. The woman arrived home to find everything black and smoke that burned her eyes in her residence in the 2500 block of Sampson Street, according to records. She called for firefighters at 6:49 p.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2016 5:57:11 AM - SOURCE: Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune

Superior Fire Department pays respects to fallen firefighters killed Saturday

The Superior Fire Department joined several Minnesota fire departments and law enforcement agencies Tuesday to pay tribute to two Michigan firefighters killed in a crash Saturday in Blaine, Minn. James Shelifoe, 23, and Alan Swartz, 25, of Baraga, Mich., were among firefighters headed to Utah to fight a wildfire when they were killed Saturday afternoon.
- PUB DATE: 8/31/2016 2:25:00 AM - SOURCE: Daily Telegram-Superior

Fire destroys Quality Painters building in Chilton

Firefighters battled a business fire in Chilton. The fire chief confirms the Quality Painters Inc. building on Clay Street was destroyed. No one was killed or injured. The cause of the fire isn’t immediately known and is under investigation. At the building owner’s request, Chief Gary Halbach said, he won’t make any more information public at this time.
- PUB DATE: 8/30/2016 4:43:31 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay

Sun Prairie apartment fire displaces eight families

Sun Prairie and Madison emergency personnel responded Aug. 29 to a fire at a City of Sun Prairie apartment building that displaced eight families and caused at estimated $100,000 in damages. Fire Chief Chris Garrison said at 9:05 p.m., the Sun Prairie Fire Department responded to a structure fire on the 600 block of Schiller Street.
- PUB DATE: 8/30/2016 7:23:36 AM - SOURCE: Sun Prairie Star

Officials: Crew was working near site of Fitchburg home explosion

The cause is still unknown, but fire officials confirm an unknown crew had been working near a home in Fitchburg just days before it exploded. Fitchburg Fire Chief Joe Pulvermacher tells 27 News that investigators are trying to determine who this crew works for and also the kind of work they were doing.
- PUB DATE: 8/29/2016 4:40:41 PM - SOURCE: WKOW-TV 27 ABC

Update: Fitchburg house explosion: MGE says no evidence of a leak or underground explosion

At least five households, including a man who was taken to a hospital in critical condition, were displaced by a Fitchburg house explosion Thursday night. On Friday morning representatives from local, state and federal agencies were continuing to investigate the explosion, the Fitchburg police and fire departments said in a joint statement at about 9:45 a.
- PUB DATE: 8/29/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: chippewa.com

Two Injured and Pets Die after Multiple Fires in Fond du Lac

On Friday August 26 at 4:20 PM Fond du Lac firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from the house at 142 Central Avenue. Upon arrival crews encountered heavy fire conditions inside the home which was unoccupied at the time the fire was reported. Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire but not before it caused severe damage to the structure and its contents.
- PUB DATE: 8/27/2016 3:33:27 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee

Appleton apartment complex damaged by fire

An Appleton apartment complex was damaged by an early morning fire on Saturday. The Appleton Fire Department says its crews arrived at 5:58 a.m. to the 500 block of East Winnebago Street and found smoke and flames coming from the first floor entryway of the two-story complex. A neighbor called 911 and helped firefighters put out the flames using an extinguisher.
- PUB DATE: 8/27/2016 10:33:33 AM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay

Appleton firefighters raise nearly $20,000 for Muscular Dystrophy Association

Appleton firefighters have raised $19,858 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association through their annual “Fill the Boot” campaign. The Appleton Firefighters Union Local 257 raised the money with the help of the community. The “Fill the Boot” campaign is a national effort in which firefighters hit the streets and storefronts to collect donations for the MDA.
- PUB DATE: 8/27/2016 10:33:33 AM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay

Explosion destroys Fitchburg home; owner critically injured

An explosion Thursday evening in Fitchburg destroyed a single-family home, displaced neighbors and sent one man to the hospital. The 57-year-old homeowner was conscious when he was taken to a hospital with significant injuries, authorities said. He was in critical condition Thursday night, Fitchburg Fire Chief Joe Pulvermacher said.
- PUB DATE: 8/26/2016 4:12:38 AM - SOURCE: Chippewa Herald

New Fire Chief Menches hits the ground running with Holmen Fire

Even before he was officially signed on, Paul Menches hit the ground running as the new fire chief for the Holmen Area Fire Department. Menches officially became the new fire chief at the Holmen Area Fire District Association board’s Aug. 18 meeting. The board announced it selected Menches as the department’s new chief at a press conference on July 13.
- PUB DATE: 8/26/2016 2:16:50 AM - SOURCE: Onalaska Holmen Courier Life