If you have an emergency, call 911 immediately!

Wisconsin Fire News

Fire ignites in Wausau garage Sunday afternoon

VIDEO: A small garage fire erupted outside a Wausau home around 1:30 p.m. Sunday. It happened in an alley between Fairmount and Emerson Streets. According to Lt. Ted Tautges with the Wausau Fire Department, a firefighter sustained minor injuries when responding to the fire. No one else was hurt. Tautges said a neighboring home also was damaged.
- PUB DATE: 1/1/2017 2:39:30 PM - SOURCE: WAOW-TV ABC 9-Wausau

Fond du Lac first responders thanked with free meal on New Year's Eve

VIDEO: New Year's Eve is a time to reflect back on the past year. A group of volunteers in Fond du Lac wanted to give thanks to those who made a difference in so many lives in 2016. Preparing to welcome in the new year offered a bit of a twist at Ledgeview Lanes in Fond du Lac. The food being put together here wasn't for customers but for the community's first responders.
- PUB DATE: 12/31/2016 3:22:59 PM - SOURCE: WLUK TV Fox 11

Fumes sicken 5 at west Madison car shop, fire official says

Five people became sick Saturday from vapors that were briefly released at a west Madison car shop, a Madison fire official said. Dane County dispatch said crews responded to a report of people sickened by chemicals at 11:22 a.m. at Don Miller on Odana Road. Madison Fire Department spokesman Eric Dahl said some liquids had been mixed together in the shop area, which caused fumes that made some people ill.
- PUB DATE: 12/31/2016 2:54:52 PM - SOURCE: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison

6th generation Madison Fire Department firefighter retires

A Madison firefighter is retiring after 28 years on the job and being part of six generations of his family to serve the Madison Fire Department. Marc Behrend’s family has served the Madison Fire Department since 1867, back when it was a volunteer fire department. “I’m one of the lucky ones. I got to do a job I enjoyed doing,” Behrend said.
- PUB DATE: 12/30/2016 8:59:46 AM - SOURCE: WISC-TV Channel 3000.com Madison

Follow Up: Body of confidential informant found in debris of Rusk County fire

VIDEO: Newly obtained court documents reveal the body of a man found in a Rusk County fire was Jeffrey Putbrese, a confidential informant. According to court records, on December 7th, someone called 911 to report a fire at a former mink ranch on Zebro Road in Rusk County. Court documents show firefighters found a body in the debris of a burned building.
- PUB DATE: 12/29/2016 10:37:26 PM - SOURCE: WKOW-TV 27 ABC

West Bend Officer Rescues Father and Son from Fire

VIDEO: A West Bend Police Officer is being called a hero, after rescuing a father and son from a home engulfed in flames. The family members and the officer are all doing okay. Police say last night is an example of how an officer's split second decision can save someone's life. Police say Officer Lee Goodman responded to calls of a fire a shortly after 11 last night.
- PUB DATE: 12/29/2016 5:23:05 PM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee

11 people displaced following fire in Oconomowoc

Oconomowoc officials responded to a fire near 3rd and Main Street Thursday, December 29th. Authorities say this was a cooking fire and it was out before firefighters arrived at the scene. According to fire officials, 11 people have been displaced as a result of water damage from the sprinklers. Some will stay with family and others are being helped by the American Red Cross.
- PUB DATE: 12/29/2016 2:37:30 PM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6

Stevens Point residents displaced after fire

Six residents were displaced after a Wednesday fire in Stevens Point. A resident in the building called the county's dispatch system around 10:40 p.m. Wednesday night to examine a scene where a fire had been but was reportedly already out. When the department arrived at the triplex in the 800 block of Second Street, flames were coming out of the kitchen, said Capt.
- PUB DATE: 12/29/2016 9:43:00 AM - SOURCE: Stevens Point Journal

Fire damages house in Kenosha County

Firefighters from several communities battled a fire Wednesday afternoon in the Town of Randall in southwest Kenosha County near Wilmot. Kenosha County deputies arriving at the scene home in the 11800 block of Fox River Road found an active fire. They were able to determine that the house was unoccupied and that neighbors had rescued a dog from inside the residence.
- PUB DATE: 12/29/2016 2:12:19 AM - SOURCE: Racine Journal Times

Shortage of Grafton Volunteer Fire Department personnel sparks call for staffing talks

Finding a few good men and women to join the ranks is not a new challenge for the Grafton Volunteer Fire Department. But as he and his staff continue to grapple with ways to attract members, Fire Chief William Rice would like the search to spark a more serious discussion about staffing needs. Recruiting firefighters and emergency medical technicians “has been a huge problem for a long time,” Rice said.
- PUB DATE: 12/28/2016 1:03:34 PM - SOURCE: Ozaukee Press

Inattentive driver almost crushes Brown County deputy and tow truck driver

The Brown County Sheriff’s Office has a message for drivers after a close call almost crushed a deputy and tow truck driver last week. The accident happened around 10:30 p.m. Friday night as that band of snow was wrapping up in northeast Wisconsin. A Brown County Deputy and tow truck driver were responding to a vehicle in the ditch on I-41, just north of County S in the Town of Lawrence.
- PUB DATE: 12/28/2016 7:44:30 AM - SOURCE: WAOW-TV ABC 9-Wausau

High praise for Southern Door County teen for quick action in fire

The four families who lost their homes because of an apartment-building fire in Southern Door County on Dec. 18 were on hand for an event where a teenage girl was hailed as a hero. The fire in a building — converted to living quarters from a tavern/dance hall/bowling alley on Rocky Road in the Town of Union — was discovered as one family sat down for a later supper.
- PUB DATE: 12/28/2016 2:47:51 AM - SOURCE: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Ice rescue saves 10 anglers on Chequamegon Bay

Two groups of ice fishermen, 10 individuals in all, have been given the greatest day-after Christmas presents it is possible to receive — their lives. The anglers, in two groups of five each, were stranded on ice floes that pulled away from the west shore of Chequamegon Bay and began drifting in the direction of Long Island.
- PUB DATE: 12/28/2016 1:41:44 AM - SOURCE: Rice Lake Chronotype

Overturned cattle truck blocks traffic in De Pere

VIDEO: A stretch of Highway 57 in De Pere has reopened, after being closed due to an overturned cattle truck, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. The northbound and southbound lanes were closed between Old Plank Road and Rockland Road until 5 p.m. Tuesday night. “When he left the roadway, he hit a small driveway, which forced the vehicle onto its side.
- PUB DATE: 12/27/2016 9:11:09 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay

Follow Up: Man likely died of smoke inhalation in Wisconsin Rapids fire

The 59-year-old man found dead at an apartment fire Monday died from smoke inhalation, according to a preliminary finding by an autopsy, according to the county coroner. The cause of death won't be confirmed until the toxicology reports come back from an autopsy done Tuesday at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wood County Coroner Dara Hammsaid.
- PUB DATE: 12/27/2016 2:43:29 PM - SOURCE: Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune

Body found in burned vehicle in Milwaukee: “I’m disappointed in this city”

VIDEO: A death investigation is underway in Milwaukee after police say a body was found in a vehicle near 54th and Capitol Drive on Christmas Day -- Sunday, December 25th. Police responded around 7:00 a.m. There was a vehicle fire at this scene. Milwaukee firefighters extinguished the fire and discovered the body.
- PUB DATE: 12/27/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6

Man dies in Wisconsin Rapids apartment fire

A man was found dead Monday evening in a Wisconsin Rapids apartment building following a fire. Tenants at the building at 520 Eighth Ave. called the Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department around 3 p.m. reporting they smelled smoke in the complex. When the fire department arrived, they weren't sure where the smell was coming from.
- PUB DATE: 12/27/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Wausau Daily Herald

Ice fishers, ATV plunge through lake ice; 3 injured, Dane County official says

Two people plunged into the water on Lake Kegonsa Saturday morning when their ATV broke through "bad ice," an official said. Dane County dispatch said crews responded to a report at about 7:20 a.m. that someone had fallen through the ice on Lake Kegonsa at Fish Camp County Park near McFarland. The Madison Fire Department said crews from McFarland, Monona, Madison and Stoughton were dispatched to east of Colladay Point on the lake.
- PUB DATE: 12/27/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: WMSN-TV Fox 47 Madison

Fond du Lac boy called a hero for alerting parents to Christmas morning fire

VIDEO: A nine-year old boy saved his parents from a Christmas morning fire. Zevin Jelic was trying to sleep on a couch on the first floor of his family's duplex when he noticed smoke coming from the basement. He immediately alerted his parents and they all got out of the home safely. Firefighters are calling him a true hero.
- PUB DATE: 12/27/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: WQOW-TV ABC 18 Eau Claire

Pages