Firefighters on Friday morning, December 16th responded to the scene of a house fire near 18th and Wright in Milwaukee. Fire officials say the blaze appears to have started in the basement of a vacant home. No injuries were sustained as a result of the fire. No additional details have been released — including the cause of the fire or the amount of damage sustained. - PUB DATE: 12/16/2016 8:32:55 AM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
In these freezing temperatures many people use their fireplaces to keep warm. However, if people don't clean their fireplaces, it could start a fire.
On Thursday, firefighters weren't just battling fires, they were also battling frigid temperatures. "He had wood burning in two chimneys with metal flues and it just got too hot, probably burnt some creosote on the inside and then started up the outside of the chimney,” said Ledgeview Fire Chief, Tom Guns. - PUB DATE: 12/15/2016 7:37:16 PM - SOURCE: WLUK TV Fox 11
With more than 88,000 acres of managed forestland in Wood County, logging accidents are always possible. When it comes to logging, it isn't "if" there will be an accident, it's "when," said Dana Hinkley, who owns Logger Rescue Training in Berlin, New Hampshire. Hinkley oversaw training Wednesday of more than 25 men, some loggers and some firefighters, who gathered at the Pittsville Fire Department to learn what to do when a logging accident happens. - PUB DATE: 12/15/2016 6:38:01 PM - SOURCE: Marshfield News-Herald
With the flip of a switch, Sheboygan County's dispatch center recently came to life, signalling the conclusion of a multi-year goal to bring online a digital system capable of handling all of the area's emergency needs. The $12 million project brings together two former analog dispatch centers, one in the city and one in the county, to provide an efficient response to 911 calls using technology updated for the digital age. - PUB DATE: 12/15/2016 5:02:50 PM - SOURCE: Sheboygan Press
When officials in this Jefferson County city saw that many ambulance, fire and police calls were going to assisted living facilities, they took action. In September 2015, they adopted a temporary moratorium on new facilities or expansions, which remains in effect. The City Council is expected soon to consider an ordinance to establish $1,000 fines for preventable calls to assisted living centers. - PUB DATE: 12/15/2016 4:14:07 AM - SOURCE: Chippewa Herald
Fire damaged a house in Milwaukee early Thursday morning. The fire was reported around 4:40 a.m. on Mother Daniels Way -- one block from the intersection of 35th Street and Hampton Avenue. Emergency crews responding to the fire had to deal with a temperature of 1 degree and a wind chill of -17 degrees. - PUB DATE: 12/15/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: WISN-TV ABC 12
With some of the coldest temperatures of the winter season upon us, the Fond du Lac Fire and Rescue Department is taking steps to help homeless people in the city. “We realize the overnight warming shelters have their own limitations," Fire Chief Peter O'Leary said. "Each morning at 7 a.m. those using the overnight shelter are sent back out in the cold. - PUB DATE: 12/15/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Fond du Lac Reporter
VIDEO: It may be more than a year before construction could begin, but the City of Green Bay is moving forward with plans for a new public safety building. Action 2 News first told you Tuesday night that a city committee unanimously approved a study showing what the community needs in that building. While it would include police and fire, another agency would not be moving there. - PUB DATE: 12/14/2016 5:22:50 PM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay
An Eau Claire apartment’s Christmas tree went up in flames midmorning on Tuesday. The tree, shrouded in twinkling red and white lights, had a small pile of boxes wrapped in festive paper nestled beneath its branches. There was a brown couch to the tree’s left, a window to its right. The flames licked their way up the tree’s dry pine needles before engulfing the ceiling and the living room’s surrounding features in a thick, dark smoke. - PUB DATE: 12/14/2016 2:14:54 AM - SOURCE: Eau Claire Leader-Telegram
Plans for a new fire station on Eau Claire’s north side are moving forward. Tuesday, the city took the first step to acquire land at the corner of Birch St. and Malden Ave. for the new building which would replace Fire Station 10. The station was built back in 1949 and the city says its outdated and in need of replacement. - PUB DATE: 12/13/2016 8:46:52 PM - SOURCE: WEAU-TV 13 News
VIDEO: Several people are fortunate to have escaped with their lives after fire damaged two condominiums in Cudahy on Monday, December 12th. "Their holiday's going to be altered quite a bit," said Cudahy Fire Chief Dan Mayer. "Kind of hits home for us when we fight a fire where there's a Christmas tree up, Christmas gifts already set, and the fire comes in and damages everything -- and you know that all of that's ruined. - PUB DATE: 12/13/2016 3:35:58 PM - SOURCE: WITI Fox Channel 6
Children’s arms were loaded with toys and area police officers and firefighters followed them with wide grins on their faces Saturday.
On both sides of the state line, children were treated to holiday shopping excursions guided by men and women from Beloit, South Beloit and Town of Beloit police and fire departments. - PUB DATE: 12/13/2016 1:42:25 AM - SOURCE: Beloit Daily News
VIDEO: The Appleton Fire Department says it has now responded to four fires since its “Keep the Wreath Green” effort began earlier this holiday season. Wreaths with green bulbs hang currently outside each fire station in the city. Every time there is a fire, firefighters change a bulb from green to red. - PUB DATE: 12/11/2016 11:36:49 AM - SOURCE: WBAY-TV ABC 2 Green Bay
A Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office Deputy is hurt after a crash around 7:45 AM Sunday morning near Highway 45 just south of Hampton Avenue. The deputy was helping to block traffic with emergency lights activated while others were working to get a disabled vehicle out of a ditch. The driver of the striking vehicle said she was not able to move over for the stopped squad because of the snow accumulation, and that she hit her brakes too late. - PUB DATE: 12/11/2016 8:01:48 AM - SOURCE: WDJT-TV CBS 58 Milwaukee
Emergency responders from across Portage County came together in the spirit of competition around Salvation Army Red Kettles for the annual Portage County Public Safety Challenge. Several county agencies compete to see who can gather the most money. "We're very fortunate that we're able to live and work in a community that is so generous," Stevens Point Fire Chief Bob Finn said. - PUB DATE: 12/10/2016 8:50:23 PM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
The body of a man who fell through the ice on a Walworth County lake Friday afternoon was found, officials said. Town of Geneva Police Chief Steve Hurley said the man's body was found around 5:00 p.m. after a search of the lake. Security officials from a nearby golf course called police around 1:15 p. - PUB DATE: 12/10/2016 6:44:31 PM - SOURCE: WSAW-TV CBS 7 Wausau
A 58-year old Mount Horeb woman was arrested on Thursday for attempted arson.
According to authorities, it is believed Krisann Hopwood intentionally released natural gas into her business, Hop's House, on Sunday.
Officials say Hopwood was booked into the Dane County Jail without incident.
The Mount Horeb Police Department is investigating the incident and says additional charges may be filed. - PUB DATE: 12/9/2016 9:06:55 AM - SOURCE: WMTV-TV NBC 15 Madison
VIDEO: A Sheboygan County Sheriff’s deputy was involved in a rollover crash early Friday morning. It happened on I-43 near County Highway PP just before 2:00 a.m. Kohler Police say that the deputy was traveling northbound on I-43 when she noticed headlights in her rearview mirror approaching very quickly. - PUB DATE: 12/9/2016 5:17:42 AM - SOURCE: WGBA-TV NBC 26 Green Bay
Firefighters rescued one person from a burning house on Milwaukee north's side, officials said Thursday. The fire was reported about 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 2700 block of N. 16 St. and firefighters saw heavy smoke when they arrived, said Deputy Fire Chief Terry Lintonen. Three other people inside the house were able to safely evacuate, he said. - PUB DATE: 12/9/2016 12:00:00 AM - SOURCE: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Dirty rags from wood staining are suspected as the source of a fire at a Bellevue business Thursday morning. Firefighters say they were called to Creative Deck & Gazebo, 2004 Commercial Way, around 6:45 a.m. When they went in, crews found dense smoke down to the floor. A short search led to the origin of the fire, and it was put out, minimizing damage to the building. - PUB DATE: 12/8/2016 9:41:28 AM - SOURCE: WLUK TV Fox 11